Multibillion Dollar Al Sejeel Petrochemical Project Shelved by Industries Qatar
Industries Qatar has said it is putting its huge Al Sejeel petrochemical complex project on hold as it looks into a new venture that could potentially pay even greater dividends.
Qatar Petroleum (QP) and Qatar Petrochemical Company (Qapco), of which Industries Qatar owns 80 percent, came to an agreement in early 2012 to develop the site in Ras Laffan, in the north east of the country.
QP holds an 80 percent share in Al Sejeel with Qapco owning the other 20 percent.
However, Industries Qatar said in a statement that “the Al Sejeel Petrochemical Complex project has been put on hold, and that a new downstream petrochemical project that is expected to yield better economic returns is instead under study".
The Al Sejeel petrochemical project was scheduled for completion in 2018 as part of Qatar's large-scale expansion of the petrochemicals sector, and was designed to produce a large range of plastics.
Qatar is ramping up efforts to increase the petrochemicals sector's output to 23 million metric tonnes per annum (MMTA) by 2020 to further diversify and boost its economy.
The country's petrochemicals sector currently accounts for 10 million metric tonnes per annum production capacity.
5 minutes with... Janthana Kaenprakhamroy, CEO, Tapoly
Founder and CEO of award-winning insurtech firm Tapoly, Janthana Kaenprakhamroy heads up Europe’s first on-demand insurance platform for the gig economy, winning industry awards, innovating in the digital insurance space, and leading with inclusivity.
Here, Business Chief talks to Janthana about her leadership style and skills.
What do you do, in a nutshell?
I’m founder and CEO of Tapoly, a digital MGA providing a full stack of commercial lines insurance specifically for SMEs and freelancers, as well as a SaaS solution to connect insurers with their distribution partners. We build bespoke, end-to-end platforms encompassing the whole customer journey, but can also integrate our APIs within existing systems. We were proud to win Insurance Provider of the Year at the British Small Business Awards 2018 and receive silver in the Insurtech category at the Efma & Accenture Innovation in Insurance Awards 2019.
How would you describe your leadership style?
I try to be as inclusive a leader as possible. I’m committed to creating space for everyone to shine. Many of the roles at Tapoly are performed by women and I speak at industry events to encourage more people to get involved in insurance/insurtech. Similarly, I always try to maintain a growth mindset. I think it’s important to retain values to support learning and development, like reliability, working hard and punctuality.
What’s the best leadership advice you’ve received?
Build your network and seek advice. As a leader, you need smart people around you to help you grow your business. It’s not about personally being the best, but being able to find resources and get help where needed.
How do you see leadership changing in a COVID world?
I think the pandemic has proven the importance of inclusive leadership so that everyone feels supported and valued. It’s also shown the importance of being flexible as a leader. We’ve had to remain adaptable to continue delivering high levels of customer service. This flexibility has also been important when supporting employees as everyone has had individual pressures to deal with during this time. Leaders should continue to embed this flexibility within their organisations moving forward.
They say ‘from every crisis comes opportunity’, what opportunities do you see?
The past year has been challenging, but it has also proven the importance of digital transformation in insurance. When working from home was required, it was much harder for insurers to adjust who had not embedded technology within their operating processes because they did not have data stored in the cloud and it caused communication delays with concerned customers at a time when this communication should have been a priority, which ultimately impacts the level of customer satisfaction. This demonstrates the importance of what we are trying to achieve at Tapoly in driving digitalisation in insurance and making communication between insurers and distribution partners seamless.
What advice would you give to your younger self just starting out in the industry?
Start sooner, don’t be afraid to take (calculated) risks and make sure you raise enough money to get you through the initial seed stage.