Safaricom ranks in Africa’s top brands
Safaricom ranked highly as one of the most admired companies in Africa at the 7th annual Brand Africa 100: Africa’s Best Brands by Brand Africa. Brand Africa is an independent non-profit organisation headquartered in South Africa, and has been collecting feedback from African customers since 2011.
The report shared: “MTN (South Africa), Dangote (Nigeria) and Safaricom (Kenya) are the most admired highest listed brands on sub-Saharan Africa’s leading bourses, the JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange), Nigeria Stock Exchange and Nairobi Securities Exchange respectively.
“The presence of multiple mobile money brands on the list, including Safaricom M-Pesa (ranked 13), Orange Money (18), MTN Mobile Money (19) and Tigo (23), underscores the impact of not only M-Pesa as the catalyst but mobile as a key enabler for financial access.”
- Safaricom drives to meet the smartphone era
- UNICEF teams with Safaricom to launch the Internet of Good Things in Kenya
- Safaricom announces plans to double 4G sites following growth
- Read the latest issue of Business Chief, Africa edition, here
Last year the company stood in 28th place, and progressed to 17th place this year. Of the top listed brands, only 14% of the admired companies were African. Nike remains the most admired brand of the continent.
Thebe Ikalafeng, the founder and chairman of Brand Africa, said: “these rankings are an important metric of and challenge for creating home-grown competitive African brands that will transform the African promise and change its narrative and image as a competitive continent.”
- Safaricom/Vodacom: joint venture to expand M-PESA in AfricaLeadership & Strategy
- Safaricom celebrates 19th year with new customer-centric strategyLeadership & Strategy
- New free learning platform for Kenya youths launched by Blaze, SafaricomTechnology
- The end of an era: Safaricom giant Robert Collymore dies aged 61Leadership & Strategy