What can you do for World Green Building Week?
It’s World Green Building Week this week! From 26 September to 2 October, 74 Green Building Councils across the world will be raising awareness of how green buildings are the best way to achieve a range of environmental, social, and economic goals. Our spotlight is on the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA), who are determined to drive the initiative locally.
How will the GBCSA be pushing World Green Building Week, and how can you get involved? We take a look:
GBCSA will be initiating discussions around the role buildings play in strengthening a sustainable future. It will spread the message using #WGBW16 and #BetterBuildGreen on social media, and also hold local public events.
The theme of World Green Building Week is Change Your Perspective. Brian Wilkinson, CEO of GBCSA said, “Change your Perspective is a very appropriate theme because this is exactly what we need people to do - gain a new perspective on buildings and understand the impact that green building can have on global emissions, energy, water, health, the economy and beyond.”
GBSCA will be promoting and developing existing green initiatives. For instance, GBSCA announced a 2020 pledge at the United Nations’ Conference of the Partied (COP21) in December 2015. The pledge involves introducing a net zero building certification scheme and securing statements of commitment from 50 of the biggest property owners in South Africa by the year 2020. GBCSA will discuss this pledge throughout the week.
GBSCA have partnered with Blue Rock Village (Africa’s first green village) to educate the public on the benefits of buying a Blue Rock Village luxury apartment. The build is based on European standards, with fittings that have a positive impact on health and wellbeing, energy, the economy, emissions, and water saving systems.
Wilkinson and the GBSCA urge the public to get involved in the following ways:
- Share the WGBW Change your Perspective campaign on social media. Tag @GBCSA and the @WGBC or use the hashtags #WGBW16 and #BetterBuildGreen
- Share photos of your favourite green buildings on social media as part of the international Change your Perspective photographic competition. Find more information about the competition at on the World Green Building Council website.
- Book a presentation for your company. If your business is located inside a green building, raise awareness of your building’s benefits among staff. For instance, HR, marketing and communications professionals can incorporate green building messaging into their internal and external communications. They can also share the effect of green buildings on productivity and wellness. Property businesses can educate leasing agents on selling green spaces.
- Book a spot on the GBCSA green building tour of the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. Enjoy a cup of coffee and a guided tour that showcases the green elements of the V&A Waterfront. The tour takes place on 28 September from 11:30 to 13:00
NetNumber: Time for a cloud-native transformation
NetNumber is accelerating the transition in the telecom industry to 5G as it starts a shift to cloud-native architecture to address the fast-paced demands of global subscribers and businesses.
NetNumber is offering the industry’s first cloud-native platform designed to ensure InterGENerational™ network performance addresses both the legacy and next-generation requirements of telecom networks.
“NetNumber has developed the industry’s most robust cloud-native, InterGENerational platform that addresses both the legacy and 5G requirements of telcos,” said Matt Rosenberg, Chief Revenue Officer of NetNumber.
The platform provides vertical and horizontal scale-out with low latency, coupled with a suite of data replication capabilities, which provide flexible architectural options that can evolve with the changing network over time.
“Cloud-based solutions from other vendors tend to be limited in terms of supporting particular network generations or protocols. We’ve created our latest platform TITAN.IUM to allow customers to take any generation of applications, any generation of legacy services and protocols and move them into the new world of cloud-native architecture,” said Rosenberg.
“This is a really important part for a carrier to harmonise their network, bring data services together, bring legacy with new together in order to make a more effective and efficient network, as well as reduce their cost as they scale forward,” he said.
Established in 1999, NetNumber has fostered a strong team environment that leverages the industry’s best skills to offer software solutions tailored for carriers of all dimensions. Based outside of Boston and with presence in over 20 countries, the company delivers a range of products that address all generations (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G) of network functions in the core network, deep rooted security products and services, STIR/ SHAKEN and set of options around data services in more than 90 countries.
Steeped in experience in building telecom solutions, software, protocol stacks, and integration of third party tools, the company’s development organisation has proven to supply to the industry with the most reliable and flexible solutions on the market.
“At NetNumber, we focus on our core competencies – we are dedicated to providing industry expertise in signaling, routing, security, subscriber management and data services. We provide customers a strong ROI through platform-based solutions that reduce Capex and Opex in the long-term,” commented Rosenberg.
Five reasons why customers choose NetNumber:
- Expertise - NetNumber has experts with deep knowledge in signaling/routing, security, and subscriber database management.
- Integration - An industry-first platform brings together domain services, applications, security, and global data services.
- Scale - NetNumber has the ability to seamlessly increase network efficiency using vertical and horizontal scaling.
- Speed - World-class solutions have the power to help companies create new service offerings and accelerate time to ROI.
- Savings - Customers enjoy significant savings in capex and opex, flexible deployment models, and investment protection.
NetNumber and Virgin Mobile MEA
“We're very proud of our partnership with Virgin Mobile MEA as they've taken the concept of the InterGENerational platform into their regional network strategy,” commented Rosenberg. “That’s accelerated how they develop exceptional services across the Middle East and Africa region.
“We work with them hand-in-hand to deliver multiple applications onto our platform which has enabled them to provide exceptional, advanced and innovative services to their customers across the Middle East, who demand high quality services.
“What they've really taken advantage of is scale. What I mean by that is they are putting multiple generations of applications and services onto the same platform and distributing that data across their network. That has resulted in an advantageous position of time to market and operational savings.
“Rather than having different applications for many different vendors that cause operational chaos, they've been able to consolidate that and reduce their operating costs by having everything on one common architecture. We’ve had a long-term relationship with Virgin Mobile in Saudi Arabia, and recently signed an agreement with Virgin Mobile in Kuwait.”
Rosenberg says that with these solutions, Virgin Mobile MEA can take advantage of getting to the market much quicker and faster—which is what today’s discerning customer demands.