Mutual and Federal considers rebrand in South African retail market

By mahlokoane percy ngwato

Follow @AfricaBizReview on Twitter

The property and casualty arm of Old Mutual is looking at the possibility of rebranding in order to give the firm more presence in the marketplace; the outcomes of any possible rebrand will be announced later in the year.

Old Mutual’s operations in South Africa dropped by 6 percent, from 64 percent of the group’s total earnings, from 70 percent in previous years. However, last year they reported a significant turnaround, achieving an underwriting profit of 79 million rand from a 469 million rand loss in 2013, which is a significant achievement.

CEO, Raimund Snyders said: I think we’ve got some innovative products […] Even though the economy might be slower, our business is going to keep moving forward.”

Recent years have seen Old Mutual expand across the African continent through acquisitions in Kenya, Ghana, and Nigeria. Their success has been cemented through their purchase of a 20 percent stake in the pan-African bank Ecobank International, which has enabled them to become the bank’s preferred insurer.

Whilst the brand review has not yet been fully concluded, Emerging Markets CEO Ralph Mupita admitted that the resulting brand: “might not be mutual and federal.” It will certainly be interesting to see what effects their rebranding will have ain the near future.


RELATED:

Old Mutual to increase African footprint by $1 billion in sustainable investments: http://www.africa.businesschief.com/finance/1792/Old-Mutual-to-increase-African-footprint-by-1b-in-sustainable-investments

Old Mutual announces plan to expand across Africa: http://www.africa.businesschief.com/finance/1161/Old-Mutual-announces-plan-to-expand-across-Africa

VIDEO – Old Mutual: Savings and Africa’s future:
http://www.africa.businesschief.com/video/15/Old-Mutual:-Savings-and-South-Africa's-future    

Share

Featured Articles

Musk’s multibillion hostile Twitter takeover – the timeline

As billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk buys Twitter for US$44bn, we draw up a timeline, from the buying of shares to the critical tweets and unsolicited bid

Sustainable moves businesses can make to win customers, IBM

With half of consumers saying environmental sustainability is more important today than a year ago, businesses should up their eco action, says IBM report

Banks and consultancies top workplaces to grow career in UK

Financial and professional services firms rank highest in LinkedIn Top 25 best workplaces list – from Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC, to PwC, Deloitte and EY

Top 10 women in technology in Europe

Leadership & Strategy

The value of ESG links sustainability to business returns

Sustainability

Top 10 European football clubs by revenue 2022 – Deloitte

Corporate Finance