MTN SA and Safaricom big winners at AfricaCom Awards
The 2011 AfricaCom Awards were announced this week with MTN South Africa and Safaricom the winners in more than one category.
SEACOM, Main One, Orange, Helios Towers, Ericsson, Huawei, Gateway Communications and SkyVision also won awards.
MTN South Africa scooped two awards – Best Network Improvement for their LTE trial network and the Best Marketing Campaign for its MTN Zone re-launch.
Safaricom were awarded the Best ICT Solution Provider for Enterprise Markets and Changing Lives Award. SEACOM and Main One were awarded Best Pan African Initiative for their partnership connecting West and East African cable systems to launch capacity services from PoP (Point-of-Presence) to PoP all around the continent.
READ MORE FROM THE WDM CONTENT NETWORK:
Connecting to the internet in Africa: What's next?
Online marketing: What's next for the banner ad?
Aliko Dangote - the ultimate business leader
To read the latest edition of African Business Review, click here.
Orange won the Best New Service award for its Surf & Pay service that allows for sharing and re-charging internet access, designed for hotels and internet cafés that want to provide their customers with internet access using WiFi. It also allows individuals to share the costs of broadband internet access with their neighbours, using a payment interface that is both flexible and secure with up to 20 users allowed at any one time.
Here is the 2011 AfricaCom Awards winners list in full:
- MTN South Africa– Best Network Improvement (for their LTE pilot test) and Best Marketing Campaign (MTN Zone)
- Orange – Best New Service
- HeliosTowers Africa – Best Cost Efficiency Initiative
- Ericsson – Rural Telecoms Award
- Huawei Technologies – Best Backhaul Solution
- Gateway Communications – Customer Service Excellence
- SkyVision – Satellite Service Provider of the Year
- SafariCom – Best ICT Solution Provider for Enterprise Markets, Changing Lives Award
- Seacom/Main One – Best Pan-African Initiative
African Business Review is now available on the iPad. Click here to download it.
- Orange leads solar panel deployment in Middle East, AfricaSustainability
- Orange: improving access to mobile internet in AfricaTechnology
- COVID-19: African telecom industry provides pandemic supportLeadership & Strategy
- Safaricom/Vodacom: joint venture to expand M-PESA in AfricaLeadership & Strategy